|Welcome to Agro Initiative Zimbabwe|
We encourage you to watch this space for future similar competitions.
Agro Initiative Zimbabwe (AIZ) is a business competition, implemented by TechnoServe Zimbabwe, targeted at existing medium-sized Zimbabwean businesses with creative and sustainable ideas in agriculture/agri-business. AIZ supports innovative ideas that demonstrate the inclusion of smallholder farmers/rural communities such as out-grower or contract-farming models and have the potential to influence wider industry development.
Winners of Agro Initiative Zimbabwe receive up to $50,000 seed capital to implement their initiative and a package of technical assistance tailored to the needs of the business. The technical assistance may be provided by TechnoServe, local or international consultants and might include: small farmer business training; structuring contracts between business and farmers; developing and implementing quality assurance mechanisms; risk management approach; or further capital raising assistance to expand model.
5 - 7 prizes will be awarded with at least 1 prize awarded in each of the following categories:
• High value crops – horticulture, coffee, tea, cotton etc
2013 Agro Initiative Zimbabwe Winners
• Perchgate Distributors T/A Savanna Delight is a Harare based, medium sized business, whose winning model involves training rural communities surrounding wildlife conservancies in beekeeping and facilitate access to markets.
• Aquafeed Pvt Ltd is a new business whose initiative involves setting up a feed mill producing specialised feed for tilapila fish using ingredients sourced from small scale farmers. The feed will be sold to small scale fish farmers under the Aquaculture project.
• Expert Decision Systems Zimbabwe is the first third generation credit bureau to be established in Zimbabwe whose innovation is the introduction of an Agro Finance Scorecard to capacitate access to finance for smallholder farmers and information access for contracting companies and financing institutions.
• Big Grape Capital is a Micro Finance institution whose idea involves a strategic collaboration with Domboshava Horticulture and Poultry Association to set up a poultry outgrower scheme. The institution will provide funding, market linkage and extension services.
• Profeeds Pvt Ltd is a stockfeed manufacturing company based in Harare. Their winning idea is providing logistics and market linkages to small scale poultry growers across the value chain.
2012 Agro Initiative Zimbabwe Winners
• The Veg Enterprise is an organisation operating in the Mashonaland West province aiming to establish an Agro Acces package which is intended to benefit identified small holder farmers in growing vegetables using green house technology.
• Progene Seeds (Pvt) Ltd is Zimbabwean company whose idea is to introduce artificial insemination into cattle herds belonging to more than 1500 small scale farmers in different parts of the country, to improve the quality and quantity of progeny produced.
• Staywell Trading’s idea is to create and operate grain procurement units, which will go out into the rural areas at harvest time and procure commodities at fair market prices based on brokerage contracts that are referenced to Harare based prices less a transport cost differential. The company already has excellent storage space in the form of silos. This will address the rampant cases of farmers being held to ransom and accepting ridiculously lower commodity prices that not only reduce the farmer’s standard of living but also his/her ability to expand and improve their faming activities.
• Perfontein Trading t/a Morning Star processes and sells chickens. The organisation aims to provide a market for small scale poultry farmers in Kezi, Bulawayo, taking advantage of an already existing outgrower poultry scheme that the farmers are involved in.
• B'Ayoba (Pvt) Ltd is a new company operating in the Manicaland province whose idea is the establishment of the first integrated baobab agro processing centre that will be supported by rural communities who will now have a consistent and profitable market for baobab fruit/mauyu.
• Noranda Enteprises Pvt (Ltd) t/aRusitu Delight is a new business aiming to work with small scale farmers in the Rusitu valley in Chimanimani district, assisting them in market linkages in the banana value chain as well as additional activities involving the local processing of banana wine, chips, pulp and yoghurt
• Waste Worx (Pvt) Ltd idea is aimed at promoting capacity building of rural, peri-urban and urban households on organic inexpensive agricultural practises.
• Buztrunk Investments is a new business that holds the license to operate Esoko in Zimbabwe. Esoko is an ICT platform that allows farmers to receive market and other information via SMS.